Skip to main content


21:40 19th February 2013

Workington 1 Chester FC 1

Chester FC were denied a victory against a hard working Workington side that played 85 minutes of the game with 10 men. Chester took the lead early in the second half with a Marc Williams diving header before a sweet strike from Gari Rowntree provided the hosts with a point that they were more than worthy of.

Chester were handed an immediate advantage as Nathan Jarman broke through before tangling with Lee Andrews. The referee adjudged Andrews to be the last man and controversially showed The Reds defender a straight red card.

It wasn't to put Workington off though as the hosts had the best chance of the early exchanges, forcing John Danby into a fine one-on-one save after Gareth Arnison had played a defence splitting ball to Joe McGee.

Chester's first chance fell to striker Marc Williams as Matty McGinn played a ball over the top to him, Williams got the ball out of his feet and got the shot away but Joel Dixon tipped it over.

Workington continued to play the better football, with Chester aiming more long balls with little success. Marc Williams did well to force Dixon into a save, heading across goal in the only other real chance of the half.

Workington again started brightly without being able to forge any chances but it was Chester who took the lead in the 51st minute. Antoni Sarcevic with a beautiful cross to pick out the Marc Williams, who completed a diving header from close range.

Chester's lead was short lived though as two minutes later The Reds were level. Nathan Turner lost the ball on the edge of the Chester area and Gari Rowntree unleashed a fierce strike into the top corner, beating the dive of John Danby.

Chester's latest recruit, Lee Trundle, was brought on in the 63rd minute and nearly had an immediate impact as he was brought down in the Workington area but the referee waved away penalty appeals.

As Workington began to tire Chester started to assert their authority and Trundle had a good chance to regain the lead but chose not to shoot and instead shifted the ball back onto his favoured left foot but the shot was deflected wide.

Chester continued to press, as Workington played on the counter but neither side was able to find a winner.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, McGinn (Howard 75), Horan (c), Linwood, N Turner, Hankin, Sarcevic, Jarman (Trundle 63), M Williams (A Williams 65), D Williams
Subs: Collins, Gray

Workington: Dixon, Andrews, Rowntree, Johnson, Wordsworth, Boyd (Greenhalgh 70), McLuckie, Hewson (c), J Wright (A Wright 84), Arnison (Owusu-Andrews 75), McGee
Subs: Manship, Taylor

Goal Scorers: Workington: Rowntree (53). Chester: Marc Williams (51).
Man of the match: Paul Linwood
Attendance: 531
Referee: Mr P Wright
Assistant Referee: Mr B Law, Mr S Taylor

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?