Skip to main content


17:50 12th January 2013

Hinckley Utd 0 Chester FC 6

Chester FC maintained their 13 point lead at the top of the Blue Square North in emphatic fashion, winning 6-0 at struggling Hinckley United at the Greene King Stadium.

Neil Young made just the one change to the starting line up with the injured Danny Williams being replaced by striker Craig Curran, whilst the hosts could only name three substitutes on their bench.

Chester took the lead after just 70 seconds when Nathan Jarman got on the end of a chipped pass from Paul Linwood after good work from George Horan, and the attacker netted his 12th goal of the season to put the Blues one up so soon after the kick off.

The Blues almost made it 2-0 on 13 minutes when Marc Williams just failed to get on the end of a Matty McGinn cross but Chester were certainly showing great attacking intent early on.

Chester then should have gone 2-0 up when Marc Williams had a goal ruled out controversially for offside, when the striker controlled and scored from a Wes Baynes free kick, with the Blues convinced that the wrong decision had been made.

Hinckley were trying to find a way back into the game but Chester were dealing with the struggling United side, but they almost found a way through on 25 minutes when Declan Towers got his head on a corner kick, but John Danby was equal to his effort.

Marc Williams was heavily involved with Chester’s attacks and had another effort, but this time saved by the Hinckley goalkeeper.

Antoni Sarcevic should then have put Chester 2 up on 38 minutes when he went through after a fine ball from Wes Baynes, but attempted a chip which didn’t find its way past Conway in the Hinckley goal.

Craig Curran finally put Chester 2-0 up when Marc Williams crossed for the on-loan striker to fire at goal but Curran’s effort was well saved by Conway, but Curran followed up and his time found the net to double Chester’s lead on 40 minutes.

The home side were forced into a change when Jack Lane had to be replaced after he sustained an injury in the build up to the second goal.

Nathan Turner – on loan from Leeds – then had a strike at goal which wasn’t far away on the stroke of half time.

Just before the half time whistle went Antoni Sarcevic made it 3-0 with a low finish under Martin Conway to effectively end the contest.

The half time interval couldn’t have come quick enough for the hosts, but Chester signalled their intentions of keeping the attacking football going and just 10 minutes into the second half increased their lead as Antoni Sarcevic fired home his 14th goal of the season after getting on the end of a McGinn cross.

Hinckley then made a tactical substitution that is seldom seen in football when sub goalkeeper Peet came on for Charlie Raglan, and Martin Conway who had been in goal up to then made his way outfield to the right wing.

Sarcevic very nearly netted a hat trick but this time Peet was the winner, but just a minute later Chester sub Tony Gray then made it 5-0 after rounding Peet to score a much needed goal for the striker.

Scott Brown then came on to replace two goal Sarcevic just 17 minutes from time, and in the last minute of the game McGinn found the midfielder, who curled in a shot which went in off the post to make it 6-0.

Shortly after the referee signalled full time, and whilst it had been another day to forget for Hinckley, the Blues went home satisfied that they had won 6-0 and in process making their way onto 71 points in the Blues Square North.

Hinckley: Conway, Hicks, Lister (c), Towers, Raglan (Peet 67), Brown, Lane (O’Connor 41), Headley, Cole, Canavan, Wint.
Subs: Abbasi.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, Horan, Linwood, McGinn, Hankin, Turner, Sarcevic (Brown 73), Curran, M Williams (Mills 77), Jarman (Gray 60).

Subs: Collins, Howard.

Goals: Jarman 2, Curran 40, Sarcevic 45, 56, Gray 72, Brown 89.

Man of the Match: Nathan Turner

Attendance : 648


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?