Skip to main content


21:53 28th November 2012

Chester FC 2 Corby Town 1

Chester FC extended their lead at the top of the Blue Square Bet North to four points with a last-ditch winner at home to Corby. Despite dominating the first half The Blues only lead by one thanks to Matty McGinn's super strike. Liam Hughes cancelled it out for the visitors before Carl Piergianni saw red for a foul on Nathan Jarman, from the resulting free kick Dave Hankin was able to smash home for The Blues with two minutes remaining on the clock.

It was a lively start from the hosts as Danny Williams picked out Tony Gray within the first minute inside the penalty area, Gray had time to turn and shoot but his shot was just wide of the far post.

Gray continued his good form as he unleashed a fierce shot from 30 yards which forced Paul Walker into a diving save.

Chester's pressure paid off with fifteen minutes on the clock and Tony Gray again was involved, his hard work found Scott Brown who rolled the ball to Matty McGinn on the overlap who struck the ball well into the far corner to give The Blues the lead.

On loan striker Craig Curran did brilliantly to beat his man before picking out Tony Gray, who played a fantastic one-two with Nathan Jarman, threading the eye of a needle between two Corby defenders, Gray's shot was across Walker and cannoned back off the far post.

The Blues continued to pile on the pressure as Scott Brown's corner worked it's way to Nathan Jarman who shot well but Walker was on hand to punch the ball away.

With the majority of the play coming from the wings it was Craig Curran who beat two Corby defenders and then picked out Gray at the back post, the former Southport hot-shot was unable to direct his header on target though as he twisted to get his body into position.

Curran went close himself after Danby picked him out from a free kick, he was able to control the ball well and turned but his shot went just wide, despite this the hosts lead at the break.

With the second half much more even both sides struggled to create any chances of note and after a short throw Corby were able to get the ball into the penalty area and pick out Liam Hughes who was able to head the ball passed John Danby in the Chester goal.

This forced Chester's hand and substitute Dave Hankin was brought on to give width to the Chester attacks and his cross picked out Nathan Jarman who turned and shot but Paul Walker was down and able to save comfortably.

With a couple of minutes remaining Chester's second substitute, Ben Mills, played a through ball to release Nathan Jarman, he was brought down by Carl Piergianni who was shown a red card by referee Mr Matthew Bristow.

Chester were able to immediately take advantage of this and from the resulting free kick Scott Brown picked out George Horan, the Chester captain headed the ball down and Dave Hankin was on hand to smash the ball passed Paul Walker to give The Blues the victory.

Chester: Danby, Denson, McGinn (Howard 78), Horan (c), Collins, Brown, Curran (Mills 73), D Williams, Jarman, Gray (Hankin 67), A Williams
Subs: Linwood, M Williams

Corby: Walker, Galinski, Crowe (c), Malone (Horne 43) , Piergianni, McGowan, Semple, Wedderburn, Hughes, Ives, Vierra (McKenzie 81)
Subs: Webb, Richardson, McKenzie, Manga

Goal Scorers: Chester: McGinn (15), Hankin (88). Corby: Hughes (70)
Man of the match: Chester: Scott Brown . Corby:  Liam Hughes.
Attendance: 1,853

Referee: Mr M Bristow
Assistant Referee: Mr I Hurdle, Mr T Kirk

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?