Skip to main content


17:02 18th November 2012

Gloucester City 0 - 1 Chester FC

Neil Young celebrated his 38th birthday and his 100th game in charge with a victory to move Chester FC within two points of the top of the Blue Square North with two games in hands on leaders Brackley. Nathan Jarman's sixty fifth minute goal was enough to separate the two sides and send the large travelling support home happy.

The first half was almost split into two halves as Gloucester started well but were unable to create any clear cut chances, Adam Mann looking the most dangerous player going forward as he saw a good chance well blocked by Dom Collins.

The best chance for Gloucester fell to Mann who received a through ball from Tom Webb and shot low at Danby's near post but the Chester 'keeper was equal to it.

Chester's first real chance going forward came from a Mike Green, right back, mistake that allowed Antoni Sarcevic to get in behind the Gloucester defence, the midfielder tried to chip the ball over Mike Green, goalkeeper, but he was able to gather the ball comfortably.

The visitors started to assert their pressure as the half went on and tested Gloucester's resolve with a series of efforts as the ball bounced around in the Gloucester penalty area. Tony Gray had the initial effort that Mike Green could only parry out to Nathan Jarman, the Chester striker's effort was blocked by Tom Hamblin, the follow up from Jarman was smartly saved by Mike Green.

The best chance of the first half fell to Danny Williams after Tony Gray found Nathan Jarman inside the penalty area. The former Alfreton man pulled the ball back behind loanee Craig Curran and Danny Williams struck a fierce effort that rebounded off the inside of the post.

The pressure continued towards the break and Wes Baynes' cross found Scott Brown with a diving header which forced a very good save from Mike Green.

Chester started the second half in the ascendancy and Nathan Jarman headed wide a Wes Baynes cross within the first five minutes of the half.

The continued pressure paid off for The Blues as Nathan Jarman broke the deadlock in the sixty fifth minute. Substitute Dave Hankin with some hard work down the right hand side before finding Wes Baynes. The right back was able to pick out Nathan Jarman in the penalty area and Jarman was able to hit the ball home on the half volley for his fifth league goal of the season.

Gloucester found themselves reduced to ten men as Lewis Hogg was sent off for the third time this season after receiving a second yellow card for a challenge on Scott Brown.

Craig Curran came closest to increasing The Blues lead with a stunning volley from the edge of the penalty area, Mike Green pulling off a fantastic save to keep the lead at one.

Chester team today: Danby, Baynes, D Williams, Horan (c), Collins, Brown, Gray (Hankin 63), Sarcevic, Jarman (M Williams 89), Curran (Howard 89), A Williams.
Subs: Linwood, Clancy

Gloucester City team: Green, Green, Mann (Harding 62), Coupe (c), Hamblin, Webb, Hogg, Goddard (Rawlings 73), Edwards (Morford 73), Davies, Harris
Subs: Hollan, Mustoe

Goal Scorers: Chester - Nathan Jarman (65)
Man of the match: Chester - Danny Williams. Gloucester - Mike Green (Goalkeeper)
Attendance: 852 (519 from Chester)
Referee: Mr C Hicks
Assistant Referees: Mr S Farrer, Mr N Wallace

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?