Skip to main content


17:30 27th October 2012

Chester FC 2 Histon FC 1

Chester FC moved back to the top of the Blue Square North after a hard fought 2-1 victory at home to Histon. The Blues, playing in pink as part of the clubs Think Pink day, to raise money to battle against Breast Cancer, took an early lead thanks to a Nathan Jarman penalty, Histon were able to equalise through captain Remy Clerifa before Antoni Sarcevic scored the goal to clinch the game, Sarcevic again was on hand in the dying stages as he was on hand to head the ball off the line with seconds left.

After a half hour delay, due to the Histon coach being caught up in traffic on their journey up, the game got under way and with just eight minutes on the clock Chester were awarded a penalty as Nathan Jarman saw his shot blocked by the hand of Danny Fitzsimmons, seeing referee Sarah Garratt point to the spot. Jarman himself stepped up and placed the ball low to Joe Mellings' right, sending the keeper the wrong way and to give the hosts an early lead.

With chances few and far between in the first half Chester nearly managed to open up the Histon defence as Marc Williams led a counter attack, finding Nathan Jarman who squared it to Dave Hankin, he flicked it on to Wes Baynes who was charging into the penalty area but his shot was blocked by Histon 'keeper Joe Mellings.

Aside from those two chances the first half was a very turgid affair, with both sides struggling to muster up too many chances.

Within six minutes of the restart the visitors were level, Zak Mills with a header from a ball in that was well saved by John Danby in the Chester goal, the followup found the excellent Remy Clerifa unmarked and able to hammer the ball home from six yards, into the roof of the Chester goal.

Chester went close to restoring there lead moments later as Sean Clancy's corner found Paul Linwood, but the captain's header was straight into Joe Mellings, moments later the ball was played back into the box, the ball was played back into the box and Nathan Jarman saw his effort tipped onto the crossbar.

The Blues, were able to regain the lead with nine minutes remaining. Substitute Tony Gray squared the ball to find Antoni Sarcevic waiting to poke the ball in at the back post, this sparked the game into life as Histon shortly after won a corner which was played into the box, the ball richocheted around the area before Histon forced John Danby into an absolutely stunning save to keep Chester ahead.

Chester were able to go down the other end and force the Histon keeper into his own excellent save, not to be outdone by John Danby, as Tony Gray guided the ball to the far post before the outstretched arm of John Danby.

With seconds remaining Histon very nearly equalised, Chester struggling again to deal with a corner and after a good punch from John Danby Histon curled a superb effort towards the top corner before Antoni Sarcevic was able to head the ball away, after some more pinball inside the area John Danby claimed the ball and took a few seconds off the clock before the referee blew for full time.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, Clancy, Linwood (c), Collins, Brown (Mackin), Hankin (Gray), Sarcevic, Jarman, M Williams, Howard (A Williams)
Subs not used: Denson, Taylor

Histon: Mellings, Mills, Coker, Sear, Clerifa (c), Stevenson, Ola (Ahmed), Fitzsimmons, Roberts, Dowie, Hoban
Subs not used: Hawkins, Thomson

Goal Scorers: Chester - Jarman (8), Sarcevic (81). Histon - Clerifa (51)
Man of the Match: Chester - Paul Linwood, Histon - Remy Clerifa
Attendance: 2,410
Referees: Ms Sarah Garratt
Assistant Referees: Mr Leslie Sinclair, Mr Gareth Hubbard

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?