Skip to main content


15:00 13th October 2012

Bishop's Stortford 1 Chester FC 2

Chester FC closed the gap on the league leaders Brackley to one point, with a game in hand after a 2-1 victory over Bishop's Stortford. Goals from Nathan Jarman and a goal of the season contender from Antoni Sarcevic saw The Blues get the win after a Johnny Herd equaliser.

Just one change for Neil Young's side as Luke Denson made his debut, after being cup-tied for the FA Cup and not receiving international clearance in time for the game against Stalybridge Celtic.

The first half was very even, both sides forging a couple of chances but neither able to break the deadlock. The hosts had the first chance of the game as Anthony Sinclair - Furlong completely missed his shot after a dangerous free kick across the Chester penalty area.

It wasn't long before Chester went close themselves as Iain Howard unleashed a fearsome drive into the sidenetting after some smart play from Antoni Sarcevic and Marc Williams.

The visitors started to enjoy their best period of the first half as Nathan Jarman found Marc Williams, Williams' effort was saved low at the near post by David Wootton.

Next it was Iain Howard's turn to go close as he tried to repeat his spectacular volley against Stalybridge Celtic but his effort went just wide, across the face of goal.

Bishop's Stortford continued to apply their own pressure, with Ricky Sappleton involved in a physical battle with George Horan, but were unable to create any clearcut chances of their own.

Chester started the second half well and nearly took the lead through an Iain Howard volley, after Dave Hankin found him with a superb ball, but it rolled just wide.

The hosts continued to work hard and Ricky Sappleton headed well over the bar from a good cross.

It was the visitors in the ascendancy however and Scott Brown took a quick free kick to find Antoni Sarcevic who was able to pick out Marc Williams but he couldn't direct his header on target.

The pressure paid off in the seventy fifth minute as a long ball forward from John Danby fell to Nathan Jarman, who unleashed a ferocious half volley past David Wootton.

The hosts immediately struck back though through an absolute scramer from left back Johnny Herd, who fired home from 20 yards, leaving Danby helpless.

Chester survived some heavy pressure for the next couple of minutes and responded with a goal of the season candidate from Antoni Sarcevic, who struck a half volley from over thirty yards out, over David Wootton.

Substitute Levi Mackin nearly added a third as he struck an effort from the edge of the area but Wootton did well to save, Chester were comfortable to keep the ball until full time.

Chester: Danby, Denson, Collins, Horan, Clancy, Hankin, Brown (A Williams), Sarcevic, Howard (Gray), M Williams, Jarman
Subs not used: Fearon, Linwood, Mackin

Bishop's Stortford: Wootton, Waller-Lassen, Herd, Prestedge (c), Anderson, Sinclair-Furlonge, Johnson, Abdullahi (Ladapo), Sappleton, Cawley (Webb), Spence (Livings)
Subs not used: Duncan, Webb, Lette Jallow, Ladapo

Goal Scorers: Chester: Jarman (75), Sarcevic (83). Bishop's Stortford: Herd (77)
Man of the match: Sarcevic
Attendance: 812
Referee: Mr C Fitch
Assistant Referees: Mr R Smith, Mr E Goodman

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?