Skip to main content


15:00 15th September 2012

Match Report sponsored by Daulby Read

A disappointing first half proved too much for Chester to overcome as they suffered their first defeat of the season away to Boston United. Defensive errors lead to a Ben Fairclough brace and Ben Milnes giving Boston a 3-0 lead at half time. Chester came back brightly at the start of the second half as an Iain Howard brace in a minute gave The Blues hope but Boston were able to battle hard and secure the victory.

Chester got off to the worst start possible as Levi Mackin's poor pass was intercepted by Spencer Weir-Daley, his back-heel lead to a Boston effort being saved before Ben Fairclough was on hand to put the hosts ahead.

Loan striker, Ben Mills nearly got the visitors level but his effort rolled just wide of the far post.

It wasn't long before the hosts doubled their lead as a long ball over the top lead to Ben Fairclough beating John Danby to the ball, the winger then lobbed the ball over the top of the Chester 'keeper and into the unguarded net.

Two quickly became three and the visitors were enduring a nightmare at the back. Another defensive error allowed Ben Milnes in to slot home the hosts third in the first half.

Marc Newsham had a couple of efforts to increase the lead, coming just short of Weir-Daley crosses on two occasions. 

Chester did have one more effort of the first half as Ben Mills rose well to force a good save out of Dan Haystead but that was all the visitors could muster in a poor first half display.

The Blues started the second half much better after bringing on Nathan Jarman and Iain Howard and it was the latter who clawed one back three minutes into the second half as Ben Mills' cross picked him out perfectly and he struck the ball high into the Boston goal.

One quickly became two for The Blues, and for Howard as Antoni Sarcevic's flick over the top found Howard on a tight angle and he shot low, across Haystead and into the far corner to give Chester a lifeline.

Boston nearly increased their lead as a cross in found Spencer Weir-Daley unmarked six yards out, but he headed it wide. The visiting side went close through Nathan Jarman as he met a Wes Baynes free kick but Dan Haystead was equal to it. 

Chester continued to battle away but were unable to get an equaliser and suffered their first loss of the season.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, McGinn, Horan (c), Linwood, Mackin (Powell), Hankin, Sarcevic, M Williams (Jarman), Mills, A Williams (Howard)
Subs not used: Collins, Clancy

Booked: Sarcevic, Baynes, Linwood. 

Boston: Haystead, Silk, Jelleyman (c), Milnes, Ward, Stainfield, Fairclough, Ross, Stokes, Newsham, Weir-Daley (Dyer-Stewart)
Subs not used: Smith, Reed, Field, Marshall

Booked: Silk, Fairclough.

Goal Scorers: Chester - Howard 48, 49.  Boston - Fairclough 8, 35, Milnes 37.
Man of the match: Chester - Howard, Boston - Ben Fairclough

Attendance: 1,249 (242 from Chester)
Referee: Mr J Brooks
Assistant Referees: Mr T Hollidge, Mr A Howson

Match Report by Chris Graham.
    Data provided by Press Association


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?