Skip to main content


22:00 5th September 2012

The BIG One!

Match Report sponsored by Daulby Read

Chester FC won the battle of the reformed clubs, and maintained their 100% start to life in the Blue Square North with a 2-1 victory over FC Halifax Town. Goals from on-loan striking sensation Ben Mills and Dave Hankin saw The Blues take a two goal lead before a Jon Worthington thunderbolt ensure a tense finish to a highly entertaining game.

With both sets of fans in good voice the game started fairly evenly, until Ben Mills was able to shrug off a challenge from Danny Lowe and get through on go before coolly slotting the ball past Matt Glennon to give the home side an early advantage, inside the first fifteen minutes.

The visitors almost responded immediately as Jon Worthington looked certain to score but Paul Linwood did well to get back and make a superb block.

Sean Clancy saw his header comfortably saved from a Dave Hankin cross, from that Dale Johnson knocked a cross down to Jon Worthington and his effort was struck well over the bar from six yards, when it looked easier to score.

The game was very open, with chances at both ends, Paul Marshall going close with a free kick from the edge of the Chester area going just over Martin Fearon's crossbar. 

The visitors got well in the ascendancy as the half went on and Jason Jarrett was the next man to go close as he hit a venomous effort just over Martin Fearon's crossbar, much to the debutant 'keepers relief.

As the second half began the home side started better than they'd finished the first, attacking the Harry McNally Terrace. Ben Mills nearly closing Matt Glennon, his kick falling to Matty McGinn who lobbed it over Glennon but just wide.

Things got better for the hosts shortly after as they doubled their advantage, Matty McGinn's cross wasn't dealt with by the Halifax defence and it fell perfectly to Dave Hankin who made no mistake from the edge of the penalty area.

The Blues didn't have it all their own way and shortly after The Shaymen were back in it, with a wonder-strike from Jon Worthington, unleashing a bullet of a drive from 25 yards, low, passed the diving Martin Fearon.

Another Ex-Chester player, Jamie Rainford, had a great chance to level as Halifax broke, two on one, but the former Blue scuffed his shot rather than passing.

The home side had a chance to restore the two goal advantage with their own two on one, Marc Williams playing it to Ben Mills but the red hot Mills' effort was just wide.

As the game got stretched again Jamie Rainford found himself through on goal again and this time slid the ball under Martin Fearon but, fortunately for the hosts, it went just wide of the far post.

Halifax kept pressuring, playing the ball forward but the Chester defence held strong and sent a bumper crowd home happy, maintaining their 100% start to the season.

Chester: Fearon, Collins, McGinn, Horan (c), Linwood, A Williams (Mackin), Hankin, Powell, Jarman (M Williams), Mills, Clancy (Sarcevic)
Subs not used: Howard, Baynes

Halifax: Glennon, Toulson, St Juste, Hogan, Jarrett, Lowe (c), Worsley (Needham), Marshall, Johnson (Rainford), Gregory, Worthington
Subs not used: Senior, Qualtar, Bolland

Goal Scorers: Chester FC - Mills, Hankin. Halifax - Worthington
Man of the match: Chester - Hankin, Halifax - St Juste
Attendance: 3,112
Referee: Mr R Johnson
Assistant Referees: Mr M Donohue, Mr M Rawcliffe

Match Report by Chris Graham
    Data provided by Press Association


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?