Skip to main content


17:00 27th August 2012

Match Report sponsored by Daulby Read

Chester FC maintained their 100% start to life in the Blue Square North in a bank holiday thriller. A brace from Ben Mills gave The Blues an early advantage only for Damian Reeves and James Lawrie to peg them back before Michael Powell and Matty McGinn's strikes ensured that The Blues travelled home with all three points.

Both sides struggled to create chances in the early going but it was the visiting side that took the lead, with their first chance of the game. Dave Hankin's hard work to get to the by-line was rewarded with a cross deep into the penalty area and Ben Mills was on hand to head the ball in at the far post.

Chester nearly doubled their lead and it was loanee Mills again who went close, strike partner Nathan Jarman's cross in found Mills in space and the Macclesfield Town striker saw his header expertly saved by Stuart Coburn. 

It wasn't long before Chester, and Mills, had their second, another cross from Hankin, to feet this time, was accompanied by a super turn and slotted the ball into the bottom corner. 

Chester appeared to be enjoying their best spell of pressure but the hosts levelled their game with a fantastic strike from last seasons top scorer, Damian Reeves, a ball played in to him and a stunning strike on the half volley from Reeves.

After a poor clearance from Coburn, Hankin ran at the home defence, before being brought down. Wes Baynes from the edge of the area struck a fierce strike, over the bar.

Altrincham weren't to be ruled out though and within six minutes of the second half starting the home side were back level. Duncan Watmore beating Levi Mackin and having a shot that Danby could only parry to James Lawrie, he hit it high into the roof of the Chester net to level the game. 

In a breathless second half Wes Baynes struck a curling free kick that clipped the top of the crossbar and Matty McGinn struck an effort just wide from 35 yards. 

The hosts went close again as Jake Moult broke the offside trap but put his effort wide, when he should have done better.

After a frantic second half stand-in skipper, Michael Powell, gave Chester the lead with fifteen minutes remaining, Marc Williams' cross was brilliantly controlled by Powell, who flicked it between two defenders before coolly finishing low past Coburn.

The visitors were able to secure a fourth and decisive goal as Dave Hankin played a ball square to Matty McGinn who unleashed a 25 yard effort low past Coburn to ensure Chester were able to breathe easy for the final few seconds at least!

Altrincham Team: Coburn, Densmore, Doughty, Rodgers, Havern, Hall, Watmore, Lacey (Moult), Brooke (Richman), Reeves, Lawrie
Subs not used: Leather, Mitchley, Reid

Chester Team: Danby, Baynes, Linwood, Taylor, Mackin, Hankin, Powell, A Williams (McGinn), Howard (Clancy), Mills, Jarman (M Williams)
Subs not used: Horan, Proudlock

Goalscorers: Altrincham - Reeves, Lawrie. Chester - Mills (2), Powell, McGinn
Man of the match: Ben Mills
Attendance: 1,940
Referee: Mr D England
Assistant Referees: Mr M Foster, Mr M Connell

Match report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?