Skip to main content


16:47 25th August 2012

Ben Mills

Match Report sponsored by Daulby Read

Chester won their third successive match of the season, after beating Colwyn Bay 2-1 at the Exacta Stadium thanks to goals from Nathan Jarman and Ben Mills.

Neil Young made several changes to the side that beat Workington on Wednesday night, knowing that Chester had 2 games in just 72 hours, so in came Matty McGinn, Dom Collins, and Sean Clancy whilst Dave Hankin made a recovery from his head injury in midweek. Colwyn Bay meanwhile included former Chester players Chris Sanna, and Danny Meadowcroft

Chester started the match brightly and Nathan Jarman almost scored the goal of the season when he volleyed against the crossbar from the edge of the area with ex Chester goalkeeper Chris Sanna well beaten, but the ball bounced down and was eventually cleared away by the Bay defence for a corner.

Antoni Sarcevic then tried to guide a right footer into the top corner, but couldn't quite keep the ball down mid way in side the first half.

Nathan Jarman broke the deadlock on 25 minutes when a classy through ball from Hankin found the striker who slid the ball past Sanna in the Colwyn Bay goal to open the scoring.

Bay then struck back just 2 minutes later when Danny Lloyd put through Kevin Holsgrove who beat Horan and put it under John Danby and into the net to get on level terms much to the annoyance of the Chester bench, who had just witnessed the Blues defence beaten for the first time this season.

Wes Baynes was the first player to find himself into the book after he was accused of a late challenge, but the fans were adamant that the referee show more yellow cards for subsequent challenges by Colwyn Bay players.

Jarman then had another opportunity, but his shot from the left side of the penalty was blocked and away for a corner on 36 minutes.

Matty McGinn then broke through the Bay defence and memories came back of previous goals from the left back, but this time it was a wayward grasscutter from McGinn that went behind for a goal kick.

The second half started with a chance for Alan Collins who curled an effort into Danby's hands, after which Sarcevic had to receive some treatment after a crunching challenge, but Sarcevic had to be replaced by Michael Powell for his first appearance of the season.

Chester continued to press forward and a cross from Hankin from the right was met by McGinn, who couldn't keep his header down in the end.

Jarman and former Wrexham defender Frank Sinclair were then in a battle for possession in the penalty area but much to Jarman's annoyance the referee's whistle sounded yet again.

Ben Mills was then introduced into the game with just 10 minutes gone in the second half, but couldn't make an instant impression from a free kick which the Blues were caught offside from.

Colwyn Bay then found themselves with an unexpected opportunity when Dave Hankin's pass rebounded back kindly for Lloyd who fired at goal but Danby blocked with his left boot and the ball was cleared away to Wes Baynes, who was upended by John McKenna, who went straight into the referee's book for the challenge.

Horan then received a yellow card for a challenge on Alan Collins as he was advancing through towards the edge of the penalty. Then from the resulting free kick, Luke Denson struck the free kick just wide of the post.

Chester started to up the pressure on the Bay goal again, and Mills couldn't direct a header goalwards from a Blues corner.

Michael Powell found himself with an opportunity after 68 minutes, but his shot from the edge of the area was gathered by Sanna.

The Blues then went 2-1 up on 72 minutes thanks to a second goal from Ben Mills, who guided a ball over Sanna and into the corner of the net after a fizzing cross from McGinn out on the left.

Colwyn Bay then should have made it 2-2 on 82 minutes when a free kick from Denson was met at the far post by sub Lee Davey, but his effort bounced against the cross bar and the resultant header was deflected wide for a corner.

Powell then went into the book following a rash challenge on Evans, for his first booking of the season.

With the game opening up, Chester broke and a ball from Jarman found Howard inside the area, and he laid it back to Powell who saw his goalbound effort blocked and cleared with just a couple of minutes left on the clock.

Ben Mills and goalkeeper Chris Sanna then each needed treatment when a delayed offside flag saw both of them go up for the ball midway inside the Bay half, with Mills winning the header but the decision was  a Colwyn bay free kick for the offside. Both players eventually got back to their feet with Sanna coming off the worst.

Mills was then later booked for timewasting as Bay tried to find an equalizer.

The last attempt was a free kick for the Seagulls, but Danson could only put it into the arms of John Danby much to the relief of the home crowd.

Chester: Danby, Baynes, McGinn, Horan, Collins, A Williams, Hankin, Sarcevic (Powell 48), Jarman, M Williams (Mills 55), Clancy (Howard 74).

Unused Subs: Taylor, Mackin.

Booked: Baynes, Powell

Goal: Jarman 25, Mills 72

Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Smyth, Denson, Meadowcroft, Sinclair, McKenna, Evans, Williams (Davey 80), Collins (Berkley 71), Holsgrove, Lloyd.

Unused Subs: Lea, Metcalfe, Berkley, Richardson.

Booked: Holsgrove, McKenna

Goal: Holsgrove 27

Man of the Match: George Horan

Referee - Mr M Salisbury

Attendance: 2,404

    Data provided by Press Association


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?