Skip to main content


17:00 20th April 2013

Chester FC 0 - 1 Solihull Moors

Chester FC were prevented from completing their first season unbeaten at home in the league since the 1926/27 season after struggling to a one-nil defeat at home to Solihull Moors. Omar Bogle was felled inside the penalty area but brushed himself off to convert the penalty to give Solihull all three points but could not stop Blues fans from celebrating on a day that saw them get their hands on the Blue Square North league trophy.

Chester started slowly, perhaps reflective upon the several changes from the Cheshire Senior Cup winning side during the week with a back four that contained Dave Hankin at right back.

Solihull took full advantage of this and took an early lead, with just nine minutes on the clock, Omar Bogle was brought down in the area by Ashley Williams and the referee pointed to the spot.

Bogle picked himself off the floor and coolly slotted a penalty low to Danby's right, with the Chester 'keeper appearing to wrongfoot himself.

Solihull were nearly able to double their advantage as Chester continued to struggle as Dom Collins failed to intercept a through ball to Darryl Knight, fortunately for The Blues, Collins pace allowed him get back and do enough to put Knight off and send his shot wide.

It took the best part of twenty minutes before The Blues created anything resembling a shot on goal, Antoni Sarcevic twisting and turning to the edge of the area before shooting low but off target.

Just before the half hour Solihull should have doubled their lead.

Ryan Beswick's cross cannoned off the post, straight to Dominic Langdon who wasn't able to convert from a couple of yards out.

Chester slowly began to forge some chances.

First Nathan Jarman cut back on to his right foot and curled an effort wide of the far post before Antoni Sarcevic, set up by Jarman, shot well wide from the edge of the area but it remained 1-0 at half time.

At half time Chester brought on Marc Williams for Ashley Williams in hope of holding the ball better.

It worked as it saw Chester looking more comfortable in possession and looked more dangerous.

George Horan headed Antoni Sarcevic's corner over the bar before Tony Gray forced Jasbir Singh in to a great save, diving away to his left.

The Blues continued to press and Scott Brown saw his effort deflected wide after a good run by Tony Gray.

Dave Hankin threaded an inch perfect ball to Tony Gray, Gray sprayed a crossfield ball to Danny Williams but Singh was quickly off his line to close the angle and force the corner.

From the Sarcevic corner George Horan saw his header cleared off the line by Stuart Pierpoint with Tony Gray's follow up effort blocked.

Chester piled on the pressure and moments later Marc Williams saw his header saved by Jasbir Singh, even as The Blues continued to push they were unable to get an equaliser.

Chester: Danby, Hankin, Horan, Collins, D Williams, Sarcevic, A Williams (M Williams 45), Brown, Howard (McGinn 63), Jarman (L Turner 76), Gray
Subs: Fearon, McGinn, Baynes, L Turner, M Williams

Solihull: Singh, Connolly, Langdon, Denny, Kemp, Pierpoint, Knights (Blackwood 88), Beswick, Bogle, Birch (Spencer 88), Angus (Joseph 88)
Subs: Spencer, Acton, Joseph, Hayden, Blackwood

Goal scorers: Chester - . Solihull - Bogle (penalty 9).
Man of the Match: Chester - Tony Gray. Solihull - Gary Birch.
Attendance: 3,414
Referee: Mr R Wootton
Assistant Referee: Mr C Whittaker, Mr R Wild

Match Report by Chris Graham.


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?