Skip to main content


16:20 30th March 2013

Colwyn Bay 1 Chester FC 5

Chester FC produced a brilliant performance, featuring a couple of stunning goals, to extend their lead at the top of the Blue Square Bet North table to 19 points, atleast until Guiseley played at 3pm. A Tony Gray Hat-trick and wonder strikes from Matty McGinn and Antoni Sarcevic sealed the points for The Blues while Shelton Payne got the consollation for the hosts.

The Blues were in control in the first half but only had one goal to show for it before the game exploded to life in the second half, with Antoni Sarcevic's goal in the dying seconds the pick of the bunch.

With less than 20 seconds on the clock Nathan Jarman nearly opened the scoring as Bay 'keeper Chris Sanna punched McGinn's cross to the Chester forward but he could only shoot into the sidenetting.

Sanna was able to breathe a sigh of relief as Antoni Sarcevic's free kick flew past his right hand post, with the Bay stopper rooted to his line.

Chester were controlling the game, reducing the hosts to playing long balls, and it nearly paid off as Chris Sanna spilled a Jarman effort from 25 yards, but was able to pounce on the rebound before it crossed the line.

The hosts were battling hard though and Tom Smyth forced John Danby into a diving save in a rare moment of action for the Chester 'keeper.

It took until the 29th minute for Chester to break the home sides resistance, Matty McGinn's ball over the top was met by Tony Gray's well timed run, the in-form striker saw Sanna save his first effort before turning in the rebound to score Chester's 300th goal since reforming and a 1-0 lead at the break.

gray glos1_1268x1100 

Ten minutes into the second half and Chester had their second, and what a goal it was too.

Danny Taylor clipped Dave Hankin's ankles 30 yards from goal and the referee gave a free kick.

Step forward Matty McGinn. A wonderfully struck effort, with power, swerve and precision curled around the wall and left a diving Sanna helpless as it flew into the top corner.

Chester's third goal wasn't too bad either as Tony Gray picked himself off the floor, after he believed to be fouled, but the referee didn't give it, to receive a Jarman pass, Gray then twisted and turned to create space and beat Sanna from the edge of the area with an excellent finish.

Two minutes later and Gray had his hat-trick as Colwyn Bay failed to deal with a corner that eventually broke to Lewis Turner, his shot was turned in by Gray for his eleventh goal of the season and taking his tally to six in four games.

The hosts were able to grab a goal as Paul Linwood was harshly adjudged to have brought down Lee Davey inside the area. Ex-Chorley winger Shelton Payne stepped up to beat Danby from the spot, with the Chester 'keeper upset to have lost his clean sheet.

The Bay nearly set up a tense last few minutes for Chester but were thwarted by Danby, as he turned Rob Hopley's effort onto the post.

That looked to be the way it'd remain until a contender for goal of the season from Antoni Sarcevic. The midfielder, who Neil Young had spoken with requesting more goals, got the ball just outside the Chester penalty area after a Bay corner. He then beat two players, whilst sprinting down the pitch before curling the ball into the far corner and putting the exclamation point on a stunning victory, in front of over 1,000 travelling Chester fans.

Chester: Danby, L Turner, Horan, Linwood, D Williams, Hankin, N Turner, Sarcevic, McGinn (Howard 74), Gray (M Williams 72), Jarman.
Subs: A Williams, Collins, Brown.

Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Taylor, Meadowcroft, Smyth, Lea, Evans (Davey 64), McKenna, Joyce, McLachlan (Crowther 46), Ellison (Payne 74), Hopley.
Subs: Lampkin, Roberts.
Goal Scorers: Chester: Gray (29, 67, 69), McGinn (55), Sarcevic (90). Colwyn Bay: Payne (pen 79).
Man of the Match: Tony Gray
Attendance: 1,463 (1,093 away)

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?