Skip to main content


17:02 16th March 2013

Chester FC 2 Gloucester 0

Chester FC continued their surge towards the Blue Square North title, recording a two-nil victory over Gloucester City. Tony Gray opened the scoring before Tom Hamblin turned into his own goal to ensure the points for The Blues.

Chester started the game brightly and were able to take the lead with the games first chance. Dave Hankin's ball over the top found Tony Gray, who headed the ball past Mike Green in the Gloucester goal before slotting it into an open goal.

Gloucester continued to battle and played some nice football, Danny Andrews picked out Lewis Hogg at the back post, he played it to Darren Edwards who forced a fine save out of John Danby.

Nathan Jarman nearly increased Chester's lead as he latched on to Antoni Sarcevic's through ball, the ball then broke to Sarcevic who unleashed a swirling volley that had Green rooted to his spot but it was just off target.

The Blues were able to double their advantage just before half time. Matty McGinn fired a ball back across goal and Tom Hamblin got in a muddle and turned the ball into his own goal.

Chester continued their dominance as the half went on and in injury time Antoni Sarcevic struck a free kick that was dipping but went just over the bar.

In a second half that lacked goalmouth incident both sides battled hard, Chester had chances with Tony Gray and Nathan Jarman both had half chances but shot wide.

Chester brought on Lee Trundle as the clock ticked down and he nearly made an immediate impact. Tony Gray raced on to a through ball, cut it back for Trundle who shot low and forced Mike Green into a fantastic save.

Trundle again went close again, controlling a ball to him then lifting the ball over Green only to see it rebounding off the post and cleared away.

Matty McGinn had two chances late on to ensure Chester continued their run of equalling goal scored to points, the first was shot over and then he saw his shot saved before a goalmouth scramble that resulted in Ash Williams hitting the bar before the referee blew for full time.

Chester FC: Danby, L Turner, McGinn, Horan (c), Linwood, N Turner, Hankin (A Williams), Sarcevic, Jarman (Trundle), Gray, D Williams
Subs: M Williams, Collins, Brown

Gloucester City: M Green, M Green, Andrews, Coupe (c), Hamblin (Rawlings), Webb, Hogg, Harris (Mullings), Edwards, Liddiard, Mann (Morford)
Subs: Mustoe, Holland

Goal Scorers: Chester: Gray (8), Hamblin O.G. (43).
Man of the match: Chester: Nathan Turner. Gloucester: Danny Andrews.
Attendance: 2,626
Referee: Mr A Hendley
Assistant Referee: Ms L Rashid, Mr G Hubbard

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?