Skip to main content


17:22 16th February 2013

Corby Town 1 Chester FC 2

Chester FC moved a step closer to the Blue Square North title as they scored two first half goals and survived a late Corby charge. Chester went ahead through goals from Dave Hankin and Nathan Jarman before Paul Malone's late goal gave the hosts hope. With second placed Guiseley slipping up against Vauxhall Motors it meant that Chester moved sixteen points clear.

Corby looked up for the challenge from the kick off and were able to hold their own without creating any chances early on. Chester looked threatening when going forward, Jarman and Marc Williams both being caught offside early on when looking to break through the Steelmen defence.

Corby 'keeper, Paul Walker claimed two crosses well before flapping at a third and then pulling off a superb recovery save from Dave Hankin.

Moments later though the hosts weren't granted the same luxury as Nathan Jarman crossed from the left and Hankin beat his marker and headed home past Walker from close range.

The goal rocked Corby and Chester took full advantage, Dave Hankin picking out Marc Williams who ran to the byline, he chipped it back to Matty McGinn who played it to Nathan Jarman who's initial shot was blocked on the line before hammering home at the second attempt for his fourteenth of the season and to give Chester a two goal cushion.

Chester had a golden chance to increase their lead as a ball over the top found Danny Williams, he played a ball in to Marc Williams who tried to control it rather than shooting and Paul Walker raced off his line to gather.

Corby were able to get their foothold back and just before the break they were very close to getting one back. Ex-Chester City player Ryan Semple provided a fantastic cross in to Josh Moreman who's header was brilliantly saved by Danby in the Chester goal.

The second half started with the visitors still well ontop and despite battling hard Corby were struggling to create chances. George Horan headed a corner over.

The Steelmen continued to push and after captain Horan was caught on the ball, and forced to bring down winger Josh Moreman on the edge of the area, he received a yellow card. Moreman struck the free kick fiercely and John Danby did well to punch the ball away.

Chester were fortunate to get away with one as Josh Moreman crossed in and George Horan flicked the ball against his own crossbar before Chester were able to clear. At the other end Nathan Jarman's free kick was pushed away well by Paul Walker for a corner, Chester had the ball in the net again but it was ruled out for a foul on Walker.

The impressive Josh Moreman was still causing problems for the Chester defence as he cut inside and forced Danby into a good save, diving to his right.

Corby forced Chester into a nervous last couple of minutes as Sam Ives' free kick was headed home by Paul Malone but Chester were able to see out the victory.

Chester team: Danby, Baynes (Collins), McGinn, Horan (c), Linwood, N Turner, Hankin, Sarcevic (Brown), Jarman (Gray), M Williams, D Williams
Subs: Mills, Howard

Corby Team: Walker, Ives, Richardson, Malone, Crowe (c), Webb (Bryan), Semple (Kaziboni), Wedderburn, Vieira, McGowan, Moreman
Subs: Cuffy, Manga, Greer

Goal Scorers: Chester: Hankin (13), Jarman (17). Corby: .
Man of the match: Danny Williams
Attendance: 768
Referee: Mr S Ross
Assistant Referee: Mr E Clarke, Mr N Evans

Match Report by Chris Graham


    Did you know that Chester FC celebrate 130 years of history in 2015?